It’s been about four weeks now since my last blog entry and I wanted to bring those of you reading this up-to-date on a few items.
First and foremost, there’s obviously been a delay in art production. This is due to health issues and also simply life finding a way to prove once again it comes before making video games. I’m sincerely hoping that after this week, I can start to get back on the road to recovery and get the train back on the rails and moving once again.
With regards to a timeline of sorts, here is a brief outline of what’s been happening and what I’m looking to do.
PIPELINE – I have finally nailed down an asset creation process. It’s been a difficult time because I’ve been weighing the cost of using certain software packages for their ease of use vs their commercial license price. There are simply so many great tools out there, available today for independent game developers that you seriously have to find out what works best for you and your team. And frankly… that takes time.
- Autodesk Maya LT – (Modeling, UVing, Animation)
- Pixologic Zbrush – (Sculpting and Texture Painting)
- Topogun – (Retopologizing, Map Creation)
- Headus UV Layout – (Used for complex UVing/Unwrapping)
- xNormal – (Map Creation)
- Quixel Suite – (Material Creation)
- Unity 5 – (Game Engine Testing)
- Unreal Engine 4 – (Game Engine Testing)
- The guard armor is finished, as far as the demo is concerned. The 3 helmets can be seen in my game art blog at papalati.tumblr.com.
- Next step will be to finish the prisoner LP models and complete their materials.
- After that I will move on to “Weaponish” items and additional little items such as accessories .
- Human Characters – modeled and rigged.
- Levels (3) – dressed and set.
- Animation – basic walk, run, and attack animations.
- Modeling and Material creating for the Goblin Species. (3 Variants)
- More Animation (The extent of the animation I do will be based on how expensive getting more specific animations like climbing ladders and peaking around corners will get when I look at what Mixamo charges for them.
- Facial Animation (I’d like to get some facial animation in there, which I will have to do by hand in Maya as Mixamo does NOT have those as pre-configured for purchasing. )
ESTIMATED TIME TO COMPLETE MY TASKS FOR THE DEMO: JUNE 2016